The Way of the Blade

Part 1: Glenn


            Across the pale blue sea came a light wind, lightly touched with the smell and taste of the seawater. The people of Termina moved with little or no sound between them. Glenn took a deep breath as he made his way through this town, taking in the smell and taste that was the sea. People around him chose to ignore the former knight. No one asked him questions for no one saw a point to. Gripping the handle of the Einlanzer tightly, he walked slowly through the small trading town. Evil was at rest now, but Glenn felt a strong drawing to his brothers' grave in his world, where Einlanzer still lay.


            Silently, Glenn descended the stairs leading to the gravesite. No man walked across the bridge telling travelers to leave the dead alone. He could only wonder what happened to that man. He walked silently to where the grave sat, where the blade sat. He pulled his own Einlanzer out of his sheath and watched it for a moment. It was reflecting off the afternoon sun and glowing with a fiery yellow. This was not his sword; this was his brothers and his father’s blade. This sword, this great sword that he felt guilty for bearing. Quietly, Glenn got down on one knee and put the tip of the Einlanzer into the ground. Shifting his weight, his leaned on the blade and looked down at the ground. Never had he felt so alone.


            “Why must I be cursed with loneliness?” Glenn mumbled to himself. He felt his head start to hang and emotions start to show. “Why…” Glenn fell to both knees, he felt unwanted and unneeded at this gravesite. He didn’t even deserve to be there, to be in the presence of such great men. Fighting back tears, Glenn stood up and stared at the tombstone. Taking his Einlanzer into his hand, Glenn shoved the blade into the earth next to the other one. The two swords stood there tall in the ground and Glenn whispered,


            “The way it should be…one for each of you.” Turning his back on the grave, Glenn shoved his hands into his pockets and sighed. This was the way it had to be, that was just the way things went. Shaking his head, Glenn started to walk away when suddenly, he heard a rustle behind him. He froze. Whoever it was they had an advantage over him. He was unarmed. Slowing, as if not to make sudden movements, he raised his hands into the air. Then something Glenn didn’t expect happened, the person behind him laughed.


            “Turn around Glenn, you were always too paranoid.” Came an all too familiar voice. Glenn spun around to see Dario standing next to his grave. “Hello Glenn”

            Glenn felt like he had been shot.


            “Dario…? But how can you be here…” Glenn started, but Dario only smiled.


            “I’m not, I am still very much dead, but I came here to stop you.” He replied.


“But…if you’re dead than your are a spirit…I see. Stop me?”


“To stop you from making a huge mistake.” Glenn felt taken back and almost insulted.

            “Stop me from doing what?” Glenn asked impatiently, but Dario did not reply he just ran his hand along the hilt of the Einlanzer.


            “For my entire life I wanted nothing more than to wield this sword, to fight with it and to protect those I cared about with it. I wanted to follow in our father’s footsteps.” Dario paused and looked down at the ground. Glenn walked over to him and noticed for the first time that he could see through Dario’s body. Glenn smiled at him,


            “You did.” Dario shook his head almost instantaneously.


            “I was never the warrior that our father was Glenn, never. But you my brother, you went before the Goddess of FATE wielding our father’s sword. You came out alive and victorious. You grew up to be everything father and I wanted and more. You see Glenn, when you were still too young, father and I would talk of what you could be. I am very proud of you little brother.” Glenn put a hand on his forehead and shook his head. A moment of silence passed. Then Glenn spoke,


            “I understand what you are saying Dario but what are you trying to stop me from doing?” Dario turned and pointed to both of the Einlanzers.


            “Do not leave this behind here Glenn for you deserve to wield it, you deserve to wield both if you so wish it. But if you do not wish that there is a alternative to what you can do with the sword from this world…” Glenn’s head shot up and he glared at Dario.


            “What is it?” he demanded, but Dario could only laugh.


            “I think you know Glenn, I think you know.” With those words, Dario started to fade. Smiling at Glenn he waved, “Life goes on Glenn, live every moment to the fullest…” with those final words, Dario faded from sight. Glenn stood frozen for a moment thinking of what he could do with the other sword. Pulling his blade from the ground, Glenn shoved it back into his sheath. Taking the other one into his hand Glenn thought of what he could do with it. An idea came to him and he smiled to himself. Taking the sword tightly into his left hand, Glenn ran from the gravesite in search of his companions.

 

            Glenn found Serge and Guile waiting for him at the entrance of the town. Serge smiled when he saw Glenn rushing down the stairs.


            “I see you’re feeling better.” Serge said smiling. Guile nodded,


            “Yes Glenn, you look much better.” Guile replied turning to Serge, “Shall we move on?” Serge nodded but Glenn spoke up,


            “Serge, I need you to take me to your world. I need…to see Dario.” Glenn said, looking at Serge with determined eyes. Serge smiled,


            “Of course Glenn, let’s go.”


*+*+*+*+*


            Glenn clutched an Einlanzer in each hand. He watched his brother in this world move around as busy as can be. Taking a deep breath, Glenn walked over to him. “Hello Dario.” He said. Dario turned and smiled when he saw Glenn.


            “Why hello little brother, what a pleasant surprise.” Dario exclaimed smiling. Glenn did not smile back.


            “Can we talk?” he asked. Dario nodded and the two brothers went away from the crowd.


            “What do you want to talk about Glenn?” Dario asked as they walked.


            “I was visiting your gravesite in my world when I decided to leave my Einlanzer behind. But as I turned to leave, your spirit came and told me not to. He said I should do something with each of the swords. I know what I want to do.” Glenn replied, handing Dario an Einlanzer. “This will be yours and I will have mine. Yours is from our fathers grave here while mine is from the grave in my world. Now we are both heros” Dario stood speechless holding the sword in his hands. He looked up at Glenn with a look of complete bewilderment.


            “Glenn, I…” but Dario did not take the time to finish. He threw his arms around his brother and they embraced. Pulling away, Glenn pulled his sword out. Both men raised their blades high into the air and clashed them together, a smile of content on each of their faces.