The Way of the Blade

Part Two: Riddel


            Riddel Viper paced silently around her small but cozy room aboard the SS Invincible. Not only did she long to help with the fight, but now she had a terrible decision. She had to choose between staying with the love of her life in a world where she was dead, or to live a lifetime where she was alive, but he was dead. If she stayed with Dario in Serge’s world she wouldn’t be completely alone, she would have Dario and the Manor to run. Serge lived in a town not far away, so he would be there. But if she went, she would leave behind some people who meant the world to her: Karsh, Glenn, Zoah, her father and even little Marcy. There was a chance that she would never see them again…ever.


            “What am I to do?” she whispered to someone that wasn’t there. When the silence didn’t answer her she spoke louder, “What am I to do?” Again, no answer came and Riddel felt her heart weight down with pain. “What am I to do?!” she screamed at the silence. As soon as the words left her lips, footsteps came running. Her door burst open and there stood little Marcy.

 

            “Miss Riddel! Are you all right?! I heard you yell…” Marcy asked, panting. Riddel could only guess that Marcy was far enough away that the small child had to run. Riddel smiled at Marcy.


            “I’m fine Marcy, I’m just a little stressed…” Riddel answered, but the answer did not satisfy young Marcy.


“Stressed? Stressed about what? Do you want to talk about it?” Marcy asked, closing the door and walking over to Riddel. Riddel grinned and gestured for Marcy to sit next to her on the bed. “Tell me, Miss Riddel, what is wrong? I want to help.”


“I have this problem that I don’t know how to solve. Do you know about the Dario in Serge’s world?” Riddel asked. Marcy nodded,


“Yes I do, I have met him as well.” Marcy replied. Riddel looked at the floor.


“Well I don’t know what to do Marcy. I wanted to spend the rest of my days with Dario and then the evil sword took him from me. Now…I have found him again and…I want to stay with him. But my problem lies in the fact that if I stayed with Dario in Serge’s world, I may never see you, or Glenn, or Karsh or my father ever again. But, if I stay here, I will never see the love of my life again. Do you not see why I am so confused and frustrated? I have a lifelong choice to make…”


There was a moment of silence as Marcy thought for a moment. The air became heavy and Riddel could feel it pressing down on her shoulders. Finally, Marcy spoke up,


“What I think you should do, Lady Riddel, is…do what your heart tells you. Do not be influenced by your mind or any of us.” Marcy replied softly. Riddel sat stunned for a moment; never did she expect such wise words to come from one so young. Marcy looked into Riddel’s face and she could see that Riddel needed some more time to herself. “I will leave you now Lady Riddel and remember…follow your heart.” With those words, Marcy got up from the bed and left the room, silently shutting the door behind her.


Riddel looked up from the floor and into the mirror on the wall. Her reflection stared back at her as she felt a breeze from the open porthole touch her skin and gently lift her hair. She closed her eyes and drew the sea air into her lungs. When she opened her eyes, she saw in the mirror a man standing behind her. He was smiling and leaning against the wall. Riddel gasped. She jumped to her feet and whirled around.


“Dario!” she exclaimed. Dario smiled and looked her over.


“You have gotten even more beautiful Riddel…” he whispered. Riddel smiled and blushed. She ran over to throw her arms around him when he put up a hand. “That won’t work unless you wish to hug the wall…” Riddel froze as reality sunk in.


“It’s not the real you, is it?” she asked in a silent voice. Dario nodded slowly and sighed. “I should have known, I know that you’re dead. Why did I even wish it was so…?” Dario stood up straighter and walked closer to her.


“Riddel, I know the pain that you are going through and I’ve come to help. I want to help you make the right decision.” He told her. She looked up at him and took in his eyes, his face.


“What am I to do Dario?” she whispered. Dario took a translucent hand and ran it along her cheek. Riddel brought her hand up and gently tried to touch him, but it went directly through and she touched her own cheek.


“Riddel…I wanted, more than anything, to spend the rest of my life with you. The day we decided to get married was the happiest moment of my life. I felt like we were finally going to become one. Riddel, I remember every tear we shed together as children, I remember every laugh and every smile. I have kept those memories close to me even in the afterlife. I remember…when I was on the Isle of the Damned with Karsh; I remember fighting the power of the Masamune off…because that evil wanted you. I remember sinking to the bottom of the bay in that Isle and I remember that my last thought was of you.” Dario paused and looked into Riddel’s eyes. “I am the same person in both worlds, no different but…it would kill me to think of you with another man, even if it’s another me. But…I want you to be happy. That’s all I’ve ever wanted…”


Riddel felt hot tears streaming down her face. She wanted more than anything to throw her arms around Dario and hold him forever. Every tear, every smile and every laugh she also kept close to her heart. She smiled through her tears.


“I feel the same way about you Dario. It crushed me to find out that you had left, that you had died. I wanted to die Dario, die, so I could be with you.”


“No Riddel, no. I want you to live a long and happy life.” Dario then started to fade. Riddel took a step forward. “You know what you must do Riddel…you know you’re decision. Please look out for Glenn for me. He needs care…Always remember…I love you.” With those final words, Dario faded from sight. Riddel brushed the tears from her eyes and whispered,


“I love you too. I will…always and forever. Until we meet again…my love” She smiled and looked out the porthole window. She had made her decision.