The Way of the Blade

Part Three: Karsh


            The stairs creaked and moaned as Karsh silently walked to the top of Viper Manor. The manor had been deserted but that wasn’t at all surprising. Now that the Porre Military had left, life as it was would soon be back the way it should be. Karsh glanced from side to side, taking in the Manor, every detail, just to see if the Porre scum had done anything to it. Everything seemed to be in place. Satisfied, Karsh continued to the top floor on the Manor, taking the elevator to the top.


            Karsh ascended up the final stairs to the balcony where the warm, summer air greeted him with open arms. He smiled at the cerulean sky and fluffy ivory clouds above him. Another lovely summer in the world of El Nido. Karsh gently kicked the ground and sighed. The world around him seemed so bleak, so empty and devoid of happiness. The fake smile that had been plastered on his face slowly faded; bitter memories flowed into his mind.


*+*+*+*+*


            What is that I feel? What is that power that hangs in the air? I can feel it, I can taste it, I can almost feel it. We must be close, we have to be close. Oh look at you Dario, prancing around this island like you own the place. Look at the two little soldiers following you around, practically licking your feet if they could. You disgust me friend, you disgust my soul. How could Riddel love a person like you, how is that possible? You have so much confidence in your abilities, you cocky little bastard. Your father may have been grea,t but you are not him. You are Dario.


            The power is getting stronger, so much stronger. What will you think, Riddel, if you see me wielding the great Masamune. You will see that I am stronger than Dario; I will win you my love. To see you both together angers me, completely and totally angers me. It always has, even when we were young and any human could see that there were sparks between you both. I saw it, Glenn saw, even General Viper saw, that is why he was so eager to marry you two.


            We are here, just beyond the clear wall lies all my hopes to winning your heart Riddel. All of my hopes. How dare you Dario, how dare you walk in front of me like you are god or something. Just because you are a few rankings higher than me does not mean you have complete control over me. I am my own person Dario and you have no control, no control. Here I come my Masamune, I am the one to hold you in my hand…


            There you stand my sword, my sword, and the one who holds my future in your blade. I can feel your power; I can feel its great power emitting from your blood soaked blade. Dario, where are you going? Why have you brushed by me as if I am not a human? How…how dare you lay hand on my weapon, my blade. What is that gleam in your eyes, can the power let you read my mind? Let you see that I envy you and hate you at the same time…


            What are these words of hate you speak of? These words of despise for Riddel, you love her and I know it. Everyone knows that, we can all see it in your eyes. What is that, that gleam in your eyes Dario? The Masamune…the sword is evil…and I wanted to wield it!


            No Dario, no! Why are you attacking me? Why did I open my mouth to bring you back? I care…as much as I hated you for winning Riddel’s heart, I still cared for you like a brother. Now our weapon’s clash and there is evil burning in your eyes. What havoc have I provoked! I drew you here; I made you come to look at this place. I wanted to find the great sword of legend! Riddel’s blood? No, I will not let you! I will send you back to hell demon!


            What…what have I done? Dario…? No…I killed you… No, I had to I…no. There is no excuse; I am a cold-blooded murderer. Riddel…my love…what pain have I brought upon you. Glenn…my dear friend, the one I looked at like my own little brother. You have no one now…no one. Who is this demi-human that comes to my side? Demons? Dario killed by demons? He wasn’t, I killed him! I did, me! No…I will listen to this strange person by my side. No one must ever know that Dario’s blood is upon my hands. I will never speak of this ever again…forgive me Dario, my friend, my comrade…my brother…


*+*+*+*+*


            Karsh blinked and looked around; the sun was still shining brightly, the light summer wind still blew. He reached up to his face and gently touched his cheek. A tear lay there, a tear.


            “I haven’t cried in years…forgive me Dario. I was envious and wrong, I should have never struck you down as I did…” he whispered, looking down at the sea below.


            “I forgive you, friend.” A voice behind him said gently. Karsh whirled around, a small knife in hand to strike down the person who stood there. Karsh blinked when he saw who stood before him; vaguely, he could feel his knife slipping from his hand and hitting the ground. “Hello Karsh.” Dario said, smiling.


            “How…can you be here? You’re dead?” Karsh staggered in disbelief. Dario threw his head back and laughed.


            “Look at me Karsh, look closely. Do I look alive to you?” he asked a huge smile spreading across his lips.


            “No…no, you don’t. You look pale and…dead…” Karsh replied, trailing off. The reality suddenly dawned on him and he smirked, “Have you finally decided to haunt me?” he asked bitterly. The smile on Dario’s face melted away.


            “Haunt you? Why in the world would I do a thing like that?” Dario asked, knitting his eyebrows together. He tilted his head and gave Karsh a questioning look.


            “For…what I did to you. The envy and hate that I felt for you.”


            “Hate? Envy? I forgave you for all of that years ago. I never once wanted to haunt you or anything. I came to tell you to put everything behind you Karsh. I want you to put that guilt behind you, to forgive yourself. You did the right thing by killing me, the only thing you did wrong was keeping it a secret all of those years.”


            “I know…I know…I need to put it all behind me but how can I do that whenever your name is mentioned around Glenn or Riddel. The happiness just leaves their faces and…that hurts me.”


            Dario nodded,


            “I know…but they need you, they both do. Karsh, I want you to be a crutch for Glenn, to help him walk when the pain is too much. For Riddel, let her cry on your shoulder. That is all I ask, all I ask”


            “I will do that my friend…” Karsh saluted Dario’s spirit slightly. The transparent man smiled,


            “I have to leave but…I want you to go somewhere. I think you know where…” with those words, Dario gently faded into the wind. Karsh smiled to himself,


            “You were right Dario…I do know where…” Karsh whispered taking off down the stairs through the manor.