The Way of the Blade

Part Four: United By Tears


            I know where you want me to go…and you know that I know… Why do you want me there? What is so important that I have to go right now? Right now of all times, I have things to do, places to see and worlds to help. I know you want me there brother, you want me there for some reason, a reason I have yet to figure out…


            What is so important, why can’t you just appear like you did and tell me, it’s not like I wouldn’t mind seeing you again. You are my brother and the only family I knew. You were the one that pushed me on. You were the one that seemed to encourage me without even knowing it. I shrived to be better than you and that was what motivated me so much.


            Some thought that you left me with the secretive way that Karsh was acting about it all. I refused to believe that. You knew how much you meant to me and you knew how much I needed you to keep my feet on the ground. You were my only family after all, how could I think that you would leave me in the cold? I know, even now, you’re watching over me and your appearance to me has only proved what I already knew. That you’re always there.


            I don’t know why you want me there…but I trust you brother…and I’ll go.


*+*+*+*+*


            I know I made the right decision. There isn’t an ounce of doubt in my mind. This is what you want…my love. This is for the best, despite what my heart says, I know this is for the best. We were from two different worlds. Who knows if I was the same in that world? I could have changed completely with a simple action, or a word. I don’t even know if you, in that world, would love me. I don’t know if it would work or if we would have the same romance that we did. I don’t know any of this and thus it made making my decision all too easy.


            Though deep down…knowing that you are alive and a world away. That you are a world away and breathing, speaking, moving, living, pains me. There you are, within arms reach and I have to turn away. Why? Because of my own uncertainties and even after all of the events that I have seen I still doubt my own feelings. How I can I still know so little after it all…?


            No, I must not second-guess myself. I know where I need to be and I am going there. I am on my to moving on to a new life. Maybe even a new love…? Would that be wrong?


            No, no second-guessing myself. I must get where I need to be.


*+*+*+*+*


            Forgiveness…I can’t imagine anyone in this world who has more than you my friend. Here I am…on my way to a place that I should be every day and beg for your soul to forgive. In my own sick way I can see myself avoiding it all, mostly because I convinced myself that I did nothing wrong. I may have killed you, but it was for the greater good. At least that’s what was going through my head. I can’t believe I was that stupid to think that I wasn’t guilty.

            You told me where to go and so I go. Some are going to ask me why I’m following a spirit. And my response will be a simple, “Because I trust him.” Even in death I would put my life in your hands any day. Hell, I would put my soul in your hands because even if I destroyed you that you’ll always forgive because that’s how you are. I trust you Dario and I always will. Jealousy may have consumed me and evil may have consumed you, but in the end we both forgive each other.


            I’m on my way, my leader, and why you want me there will be revealed when I get there.


*+*+*+*+*


            Three people all stopped when they saw each other, all heading for the same spot. Eyes traveled from person to person and motives were questioned almost immediately. Muscles tensed and despite the solemn atmosphere two of the three were ready to battle, eyes filling full of hatred towards each other. Glenn glared, his words were bitter.


            “What do you think gives you, of all people, the right to come here?” Karsh smiled slightly back at the young man.


            “I see that you are so different from your brother.” Glenn tensed and clutched the hilt of his sword.


            “And just what do you mean by that?” Karsh smiled.


            “He forgives.” A moment of silence passed between the two young men. Muscles relaxed when they realized that they had no right to be angry or hold grudges against each other. Glenn sighed and looked away from Karsh.


            “You’re right…I am that much different from him because I still can’t find it in my heart to forgive you completely. If you had just told me…what had happened…”


            “Glenn…” His head turned to Riddel; her eyes held compassion and her body language suggested that she too was uncomfortable. “He came to both of you…didn’t he.” She made a statement, not a question. Karsh looked from Riddel to Glenn and spoke, his voice calmer and held much more emotion than before.


            “He wanted all three of us to come here, to this place, to finally settle our differences.” Glenn nodded and straightened.


            “Not through a battle, but just talking about what happened.” Riddel relaxed and smiled slightly.


            “Maybe to come and remember him.” Karsh laughed slightly.


            “Yeah…maybe, but the grave doesn’t have a sword anymore. Glenn has the one that was once here, what about the other one?” Glenn looked at the grave sadly.


            “I gave it to the Dario in the other world…” Riddel smiled.


            “That was very kind of you, Glenn.” She brushed past the two men and went to her knees where the sword once stood. “I don’t need to have a weapon here to remind me of why I used to visit. This place…it’s enough.” Glenn nodded as he walked over to Riddel.


            “Right, a piece of metal isn’t why we came here.” He went to one knee on Riddel’s right. “We came here to pray for his resting soul and for the memories to stay with us.” Karsh hesitated as he watched the two of them.


            This is what they do to remember him…I should have come a long time ago…if only I knew… He looked back at them and saw that both young people were watching him. He smiled and walked over, going down to one knee on Riddel’s left. “I wish I had come with you two long before this…” Glenn looked over and smiled.


            “Have no guilt. I forgive you, Riddel forgives you and, of course, Dario forgives you.” Karsh nodded and let his head fall, closing his eyes. Glenn followed the suit, with Riddel bowing her head last. The three people sat silent before a grave with no relic, heads bowed in prayer. A few steps away, his arms crossed and a small smile of contentment on his lips, Dario’s translucent form watched them. These were the three people that meant the most to him. Finally, there they were, together, praying for the memories to remain and the bonds to live on. His smiled widened as he turned and walked away from them, a gentle sea breeze carried his form into the air.